Calendar of Events Kicks Off with Livestreaming Webcast of Toast to Tenacity™ on August 26
Philadelphia, PA (July 15, 2020) – In response to the COVID-19 health crisis, Vision 2020 has revised its calendar of events for Women 100. The yearlong celebration of the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution now extends into March 2021 – Women’s History Month.
Women 100 will officially kick off with Toast to Tenacity™ on August 26, Women’s Equality Day, with a 90-minute national webcast of livestreaming and pre-recorded presentations, tributes and performances from Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia.
The program will begin at 12 pm ET and feature a 1 pm ET live toast in which Vision 2020 and its Partners, Allies and supporters around the country will raise a glass of grape juice, as the suffragists did due to Prohibition laws at the time, or a beverage of their choice to honor the tenacity of those who won the fight for women’s voting rights.
The program also will feature a visit with the Philadelphia Eagles, the ringing of the Justice Bell, created in 1915 to promote women’s suffrage, and a performance by award-winning musician Meghan Cary of her empowerment anthem “River Rock” in homage to the suffragists. Cary will debut her River Rock Project video, a virtual choir of women and men singing the song’s chorus and sharing their vision for women’s equality.
The Women 100 commemoration will wrap up with a trio of major events in March 2021, including an evening celebration recognizing trailblazing women past and present and the Vision 2020 National Congress, a conference of delegates from all 50 states to build a roadmap for greater gender equality.
Other events include:
- October 16-17 – SHE Leads Road Rally, a road trip from Philadelphia to Seneca Falls, the birthplace of the women’s rights movement
- November 4 – Women’s Leadership Forums, a day of dialogue with prominent women from multiple fields about women’s leadership
- March 19-21, 2021 – Spring Breakthru, civic engagement and social justice training for college students from around the nation
- March 22, 2021 – Celebrating Women, a stand-up-and-cheer evening honoring trailblazing women past and present
- March 21-23, 2021 – Vision 2020 National Congress, a gathering of advocates and influencers dedicated to designing a bold new agenda for the next steps in the unfinished business of women’s equality
In addition, the Women 100 Seat at the Table exhibition honoring the progress of women over the last century has been extended through June 2021 at Philadelphia’s Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. Visit Women 100 website for more information.
Wanda Odom, 610-470-5115 or email@example.com
Director of Communications, Vision 2020